top of page

Hamas and Houthis get support on streets of London during massive pro-Palestine protest

SUPPORT for Hamas and Houthis was shown on the streets of London yesterday as thousands of pro-Palestine protesters called for an immediate ceasefire in Gaza.

The Palestine Solidarity Campaign protest was part of a global day of action involving 30 countries after the UK and US carried out air strikes against Iran-backed Houthi bases in Yemen in response to their repeated attacks on cargo ships in the Red Sea.

As crowds marched from Bank to Parliament Square and Trafalgar Square for speeches chants of "Yemen Yemen make us proud turn another ship around" could be heard.

Hamas-supporting literature that was been on display at previous protests was also being handed out leading the Met Police to arrest three people allegedly on suspicion of showing support for a proscribed organisation.

Two other people were arrested over offensive placards, with a sixth person held for being in possession of stickers likely to be used for criminal damage.

There were three more arrests for inciting racial hatred - one in relation to a placard and two for chanting.

The force had around 1,700 officers on the streets due to expected huge numbers.

Earlier masked protesters with loud speakers mobbed a McDonald's at St Paul's for a brief period.

Several protesters made references to the military action, with one man holding a placard claiming the UK and US “want war” and that Yemen “supports Palestine”.

Labour MP for Coventry South Zarah Sultana described the air strikes as “shameful, deplorable, and beyond unacceptable”.

Other speakers included former Labour leader Jeremy Corbyn and the president of Sinn Fein Mary Lou McDonald, who called for an “immediate and permanent ceasefire”.

Husam Zomlot, the Palestinian ambassador to the UK, accused the British Government of “complicity” with Israel.

He said Palestine was a “nation of freedom fighters”, saying: “I stand before you with a broken heart, but not a broken spirit.”

Speeches ended by 5pm with the Met remaining in force to ensure people left.

The Met posted on X: "A group of around 80-100 people tried to form a new, smaller march after the end of the main protest.

"Officers intercepted them on the Strand. They have imposed conditions under Section 12 of the Public Order Act and the majority of the group have now dispersed. "

They are back in numbers today as a static rally in support of Israel takes place in Trafalgar Square from 2:30pm.


bottom of page