top of page
.png)


UK News & Investigations
Uttlesford Council secures interim High Court injunction against development of unauthorised traveller site at Willows Green Felsted after Bank Holiday blitz
UTTLESFORD Council has secured an interim High Court injunction against further development at the Willows Green unlawful traveller site. Notices about the injunction were placed on gates and fancing at the site late yesterday (May 7 2026). It has been served on one of the landowner, Irish traveller, Anthony Mongan and persons unknown. Anyone who breaches the injunction could face prison for contempt of court. Don't hold your breath.... Uttlesford Council had earlier said in
By JON AUSTIN
May 8


OPINION: Felsted Parish Council stands by decision to keep schtum over known threat of unlawful traveller development at Willows Green over Bank Holiday
WHEN an army of travellers used the cover of darkness to start constructing a new unlawful caravan site on a wildlife haven at Willows Green, Felsted, on Friday, they knew what they were doing. The "attack" on the countryside was akin to a military operation and would have involved weeks, if not months, of planning to coordinate about 30 vehicles, including construction machinery, and tens of workers on site at the same time. They also knew by doing it after the council offic
By JON AUSTIN
May 7


Fears field sold by farmer near historic Felsted could be turned into unauthorised traveller site
RESIDENTS of a parish which hosts an historic school attended by Oliver Cromwell's sons will be on red alert over the bank holiday weekend amid fears a nearby agricultural field could be targeted for the construction of the country's latest unauthorised traveller site. Felsted is best known for the stunning private school of the same name founded in 1564 by Richard Rich, the first Baron Rich, who served as Lord Chancellor of England during the reign of King Edward VI from 154
By JON AUSTIN
May 1


EA praises itself for shutting down suspected illegal waste site at Stapleford Tawney a YEAR after it was first made aware and took no apparent action becoming one of biggest in UK
ENVIRONMENT Agency (EA) chiefs have praised themselves for shutting a huge suspected illegal waste site a year after first becoming aware of it - which allowed it to mushroom into one of the biggest in the country. An EA spokesman said: "In yet more forceful action, concrete blocks now guard the entrance to a field in the quintessentially English village of Stapleford Tawney, in unassuming stockbroker belt Essex. "A court agreed the Essex land could be closed off, preventing
By JON AUSTIN
Feb 20


SPECIAL INVESTIGATION: Travellers and showmen cash in on UK housing crisis by cramming mobiles onto their sites and renting them to ANYONE
TRAVELLERS and travelling showmen are cashing in on the UK housing crisis by cramming mobile homes onto their caravan sites and renting them out to anyone in an "illicit" property boom after years of claiming there is a drastic shortage of sites for their own communities. Sites across the country, meant to be occupied by people from the gypsy, traveller or travelling showmen communities under strict planning rules, are increasingly being let out to large numbers of non-travel
By JON AUSTIN
Feb 14


Far-right extremist Thomas McKenna who 'planned race war' from gun and explosives workshop set up on Buckles Lane travelling showman site is jailed for 16 years
A FAR right extremist who set up a gun and explosives workshop on Britain 's biggest travelling showmen's site, as reported by UK News and Investigations last month, has been jailed for 16 years. A sentencing hearing at Kingston Crown Court concluded today, February 12 2026 at Kingston Crown Court. The court heard Thomas McKenna, 60, (above) was converting blank-firing Ceonic pistols imported from Turkey into deadly firearms and making expanding ammunition, for sale to organ
By JON AUSTIN
Feb 12


ILLEGAL TIP SHOCKER: EA admits it knew about horrific dump for a year before two men 'caught red handed' dumping tonnes from HGV at former Stapleford Tawney Traveller site were arrested
ALLEGED illegal large-scale dumping has carried on at a former traveller site by the M25 for a year despite the Environment Agency (EA) being alerted to it, it has emerged. Two men were arrested after allegedly being 'caught red handed' dumping tonnes of processed waste from a giant lorry onto the former traveller site at Stapleford Tawney, Essex. But, the EA confirmed tonight that it had been investigating the site for a year while the dumping allegedly continued. Thousands
By JON AUSTIN
Feb 10


Three UK-based travellers barred from Rathkeale as part of bail conditions ahead of trial - uncle now jailed over hit and run death of niece
THREE UK-based travellers have been banned from setting foot in their spiritual home as part of bail conditions ahead of a violent disorder trial. Marguerita O’Rourke (née Sheridan), 21, (above) was killed in Rathkeale in a feud related hit and run on December 21 2024. She had given birth to a baby boy Edward just three weeks earlier. Her uncle Danny O'Donoghue, 43, pleaded guilty to dangerous driving causing her death in October and was jailed for five-an
By JON AUSTIN
Jan 24


'Traveller Town' Rathkeale - linked to Dale Farm - still facing feuds and investigations into international organised crime
A "TRAVELLER Town" linked to the families who occupied the illegal Dale Farm development continues to face police investigation due to alleged feuds and suspected links to international organised crime. Rathkeale, in County Limerick, (above) saw its population swell over Christmas as traveller families, who spend the year travelling across the UK, Europe and further afield, returned to attend weddings and funerals. The country town has one of Ireland's biggest Irish traveller
By JON AUSTIN
Jan 7


Watch store 247 Kettles which suffered £1.1m robbery was 'money laundering front run by Maurice and Fred Sines' court hears
A WATCH store manager who hanged himself after he was tied up during a £1.1million robbery was working in a business that was "run by Maurice Sines as a front for organised crime", a court was told. The three men accused of being involved in the audacious heist from the luxury watch store 247 Kettles, in south west London, were also warned by police their lives were in danger after a "£100,000 bounty" was placed on each of them, Woolwich Crown Court heard. The court heard the
By JON AUSTIN
Nov 15, 2025









bottom of page