'TRAVELLERS V ALBANIANS' No charges after daylight armed battle 'sparked following funeral'
TWO men arrested after a broad daylight armed battle in a Bedford street were released without any charges, Essex News and Investigations can reveal.
This video released on Twitter shows part of the skirmish when two men jumped out of a screeching car before running towards another.
The other car was then driven off, striking one of the men as it left.
There are claims a shot can be heard being fired in the video, but police did not confirm any firearms being involved.
According to a source, the incident in Wendover Drive on August 11 in 2021, was sparked following a traveller funeral.
The source said: "The travellers had a funeral and some had been drinking in pubs and shops and not paying their bills.
"This day they had been at a pizza place and started trouble. The pizza place was owned by Albanians as was the pub the travellers had drunk in without paying.
"A call went into the Albanians and the video is the outcome. They have their own protection and don’t involve the police."
Police would not officially confirm who was involved in the skirmish.
After the incident, a Bedfordshire Police press release said: "A violent disorder which took place in Bedford today has resulted in two arrests, as Bedfordshire Police continues to appeal for information.
"Police were called to Wendover Drive at approximately 1.40pm following reports of a group of men fighting, some armed with weapons.
"Emergency services attended the scene.
"Two men have been arrested on suspicion of violent disorder, however they are currently receiving hospital treatment for their injuries, which are not believed to be serious.
"PC Ashleigh Napier said: “This was a scene of appalling violence involving multiple people fighting and causing deliberate harm to others.
"We have arrested two men in connection with the disorder, however we believe there were others involved so we are urging anyone with information to come forward.
“This incident happened in the middle of the day when there would have been many people in the area. If anyone saw or heard anything at all, or has mobile phone or dash cam footage, then we would really like to hear from you.
“We are aware of a number of videos circulating on social media. If we are to give the best chance of securing justice for the victims, we would ask that people do not share films or images, and refrain from speculating on the incident.”
A force spokeswoman said today: "The two people that were arrested faced no further actions."