top of page

DAVE COURTNEY DEATH: Inquest into 'celebrity gangster' to be opened this month


EXCLUSIVE: THE inquest into the death of "celebrity gangster" Dave Courtney will be opened this month, Essex News and Investigations can reveal.

The case will be opened at Inner London South Coroner's Court, where details of the post mortem examination will be read out.

The case will then be adjourned for a full hearing on a date to be set.

Police released the result of the post mortem examination earlier this month.

Mr Courtney was found dead in his Camelot Castle home in Plumstead, south London, in the early hours of Sunday, October 22 (2023) after apparently shooting himself.

The 64-year-old's death was initially treated as "unexpected" and was investigated.

Police have now confirmed that he died from a single gunshot and it is not being treated as suspicious.

A Met Police spokesman said: "A post-mortem examination found the cause of death to be a gunshot.

The death is not being treated as suspicious. A file has been prepared for the coroner."

He was cremated in a private ceremony at 11am on Tuesday (November 7 2023) at his request.

His family said in a statement released on social media: "Dave's family have been touched by the outpouring of love and support since his passing and are so thankful for everyone who has made contact."

Shortly after his death a video he filmed in July, explaining why he was planning to take his life due to crippling pain, was released.

In it he apologised for taking what he called "the cowards' way out" - but he also celebrated "the wicked life" he had.

The force has refused to say if a firearm was licensed to Mr Courtney's address or if one had been recovered from the scene.

It has been reported that Mr Courtney was found by a friend dead in bed at around 11am.

It was said that he had been up drinking until around 4am before going to bed.

According to a neighbour, police would occasionally come to his home to check his 12 decommissioned firearms which he treated as ornaments.

Mr Courtney was charged with possession of offensive weapons in July in connection with ornaments at his home, but the case against him was dropped after it was accepted they were film props.

He had appeared in good spirits on various social media posts in the weeks and before his death, enjoying a visit to Charlton Athletic and days and nights out at pubs and a visit to his 92-year-old mum.

Earlier the year he appeared as a talking head in a three-part Sky documentary about the notorious Essex Boys Rettendon Range Rover murders.

On Facebook he posted pictures at Charlton Athletic just hours before his death.

He wrote: "At Charlton today . Full works today three course meal and our man James company is Sponsor for the game. Billingham communications ... and what a cool cool day it's all turning out to be."

Commenti


bottom of page