top of page

STAB CITY: Three young lives lost to knives in London in separate attacks across London

TWO men and a boy were fatally stabbed in separate knife attacks across London on the eve of the King's Coronation.

The two men were fatally stabbed forty minutes apart last night.

Police launched a murder investigation following the death of a man in Hackney, north-east London.

Officers were called to a residential property on Mare Street at approximately 11:07pm on Friday 5 May following reports that a man had been stabbed.

Officers, paramedics from the London Ambulance Service and London’s Air Ambulance attended.

On arrival, officers found a man aged in his late 20s with stab wounds. Despite treatment he was sadly pronounced dead at the scene.

Work is ongoing to trace his next of kin.

Two men, one aged in his 40s and the other aged in his 50s and one woman, aged in her 50s, have been arrested on suspicion of murder in connection with the incident. They were taken to East London police stations where they remain for questioning.

An urgent investigation has been launched and enquiries are ongoing.

Any witnesses are asked to call 101 quoting CAD 8423/05May. To remain anonymous contact the independent charity Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.

Detectives from the Met’s Specialist Crime Command have launched a separate murder investigation after an 18-year-old man was found with stab wounds about 11 miles away in Dagenham, east London.

Police were called at 11:47pm on Friday, 5 May to reports of two groups fighting with machetes near to Dagenham Heath tube station.

Officers and the London Ambulance Service attended. At the scene an 18-year-old man was found with stab injuries. Despite the efforts of emergency services he sadly died at the scene.

His family have been made aware. A post-mortem will be scheduled in due course.

A second man, was also taken to hospital with a stab injury. His condition is not believed to be life threatening.

A number of crime scenes are currently still in place.

A 20-year-old man was arrested on suspicion of murder and remains in police custody at this time.

Detective Chief Inspector James Shirley said: "My thoughts are with the young man’s family and friends. I want to offer my full reassurances to them, and the wider community, that despite the significant events taking place in London today, the focus of my team is bringing the person or people responsible to justice.

“Our investigation is progressing at pace and I would thank everyone who has already spoken to officers. I would ask anyone who has not yet come forward to do so as a matter of urgency. I would also ask local residents to check dash cams and doorbell footage for anything out of the ordinary and share that with us as soon as possible.

Anyone with information should contact police on 101 or tweet @MetCC quoting 8711/06May. To remain 100% anonymous share your information via the independent charity Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111 or at

Earlier in the day a 16-year-old boy was ambushed as he left Kelmscott school, Walthamstow, stabbed to death.

A local said his attackers were waiting for him, and he died in the street at 4.39pm on Friday.

No arrests have been made, and head teacher Sam Jones said the attack marked the “darkest of days” for the school community.

“A Kelmscott student was tragically killed in a senseless knife attack,” he said.

“Kelmscott is a large and tight-knit family and this loss will be felt for a long time to come.

“Hold those that you love close this evening. I know we will come together as a community and support one another through this.”

Chief Superintendent Simon Crick, who leads North East Command at the Metropolitan Police, said he was “totally devastated by the loss of a young man’s life”.

The attack, which happened shortly after the end of the school day, shocked those who witnessed it.

One business owner, who asked not to be named, said he saw one of the assailants get out of a white Hyundai shortly before the attack.

Another added: “He was a year 11 kid. There were three other kids older than him. They were waiting for him.

“They chased him. He ran and when he got to the tyre shop they stabbed him three times in the stomach and he bled to death.”


bottom of page