top of page

Items found at house being searched after woman's death were not explosives, say police

ITEMS found at a property being searched after the death of a woman in hospital were not explosives police said this morning.

Traffic built up yesterday afternoon after the Met Police closed off part of Hermon Hill in Wanstead around the house, where a large tent was erected at the front.

It was feared explosive devices had been found and some surrounding homes were evacuated as a precaution.

However, the force said to day the items were assessed as being non suspicious.

A spokesman said: "At 3:40pm on Thursday, 17 November, police discovered a number of suspicious items while carrying out a search at a house in Hermon Hill.

"Cordons were put in place and a number of neighbouring properties were evacuated as a precaution.

Specialist officers attended to assess the items. They were found to be non-suspicious and the cordons were lifted.

"The incident is not terror-related."

The force would not say what the items were while the investigation contines.

The address has been under investigation for more than a week since a woman died in hospital on November 5.

A source from the area said that police had told residents in the affected part of the road yesterday that suspected explosives had been found, but this has yet to be confirmed by the Met.

A spokesman said today: "We are waiting for an update from the officer but it appears the items have been assessed as non-suspicious."

The force has been investigating the address since the woman named as Romanian national Lorena Ciupeanu, aged 28, died in hospital from a suspect drug overdose on November 5 at about 2.30am

It is not a homicide investigation, but is being treated as an unexpected death.

A large tent was put up in the front garden today.

However, a man said to be known to the woman has been arrested on suspicion of murder and bailed until February.

Due to previous police contact with the deceased, the Met’s Directorate of Professional Standards have been informed.

Although the East London Coroner is aware of the death, it has not been decided if an inquest will take place as yet.

The Coroner's Officer said: "This case is not an inquest at this time. A post mortem has taken place and the cause of death is currently outstanding pending histology and toxicology."


bottom of page