MURDER CITY: One of three murdered in London on Saturday was boxer who coached Ian Wright
THREE people were murdered in London yesterday (Saturday, November 26) following another day of violence.
One murder investigation is under way after police were called at around 4am on Saturday to a fight on Richmond Bridge.
Officers attended and found a man suffering serious injuries. Officers administered CPR prior to the arrival of paramedics before the man was taken to hospital.
Detectives tonight named him as 31-year-old Reece Newcombe.
Mr Newcombe was a new father and boxer who coached football pundit Ian Wright for a charity event.
Officers attended and found Reece, who had been stabbed with what we believe to be a piece of broken glass.
Officers administered CPR prior to the arrival of paramedics before Reece was taken to hospital.
Despite the efforts of all involved, he died later in the morning. His next of kin have been informed; they are being supported by specialist officers.
A post-mortem examination will be held in due course.
No arrests have been made at this time.
He fathered a daughter in June.
His family wrote on social media: "This is the hardest thing for us to write.
"We are truly heartbroken at the loss of our son, brother, grandson, nephew, cousin.
"Words cannot describe our grief. Our family is broken and never will be the same again without Reece's larger than life personality.
"As a family, we will make sure his darling daughter Misse will know all about her Daddy and how much he loved her and how much he was loved by everyone.”
They added: "We appreciate everyone's love and support. RIP our beloved Reecey Bear."
A fundraiser on GoFundMe has already raised more than £43,000 for his daughter.
Friend Dobbo wrote: "Reece was a loveable, fun guy loved by all.
"He didn’t have a bad bone in his body. He made an impact on everyone he met.
"Unfortunately we lost our dear Reece, leaving his daughter Misse behind.
"I want to raise money to give Misse the first Christmas and start in life her dad would have wanted."
Detective Chief Inspector Katherine Goodwin is leading she investigation. She said: "We believe a number of people watched the incident unfold and some onlookers may have recorded footage on their mobile phones.
"Anyone who has yet to speak to us is urged to come forward immediately. My team are working to provide Reece's family with answers and the public could have valuable information that will help our investigation."
Chief Superintendent Lis Chapple, lead for policing in Richmond, said: "My thoughts are with Reece and his family. We will do everything we can to support our colleagues in Specialist Crime as they work to establish what has happened here. "A scene will remain in place and my officers will remain posted at the scene and in the area to speak to local people about any concerns they have, or information they might want to share." Anyone with information that could assist police should call 101 or tweet @MetCC ref CAD 1099/26NOV. To remain 100 per cent anonymous, contact the independent charity Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111 or visit crimestoppers-uk.org.
A separate investigation is under way following two stabbings in Greenwich yesterday evening.
At around 5:10pm on Saturday, 26 November police were called to reports of people injured in Sewell Road, Abbey Wood and Titmuss Avenue, Thamesmead.
The locations are approximately one mile apart.
Officers attended with the London Ambulance Service and London’s Air Ambulance.
At each location, they found a 16-year-old male with stab wounds.
Despite the best efforts of the emergency services, both males have been pronounced dead this evening.
Crime scenes are in place at both locations and an investigation into the deaths of both males is under way.
Met Police Deputy Commissioner Lynne Owens (above) tweeted: "Horrific. Two young lives lost. I am on call this weekend and our officers and staff are working tirelessly to identify and locate the offenders. My thoughts are with the families."
Their next of kin will be provided with support from specialist officers.
Today, speaking near to the scene Detective Superintendent Richard Mcdonagh said: “This is an extremely sad day for all of us who live or work in Greenwich.
“Police are investigating the tragic murders of two teenage boys, and my thoughts and deepest sympathies are with their families and friends - and indeed with local people in Abbey Wood and Thamesmead who I know are shocked and appalled by what has happened.
“As the Deputy Borough Commander of the Met’s South East Command Unit, I join them in being deeply saddened and outraged by these senseless murders.
“On Saturday evening, at around 5.10pm, police were called to reports of two people injured in two locations; Sewell Road, Abbey Wood and Titmuss Avenue, Thamesmead. The locations are approximately one mile apart.
“Emergency services attended immediately, and at each location they found a 16-year-old boy suffering stab injuries. Tragically, both boys died of their injuries.
“I can confirm the two young victims are Charlie Bartolo, and Kearne Solanke (above). Their families are aware and we ask that their privacy is respected at this unimaginably difficult time. Specialist officers will ensure they are given all the support we can provide.
“Homicide colleagues are investigating, and are treating the two murders as linked. The investigation is therefore led by one team of specialist homicide investigators based at Lewisham.
“I can assure everyone affected by these murders that skilled detectives will work tirelessly to discover what happened and provide answers to the young victims’ families.
“Tackling violence is a priority for the Met. Days like today show why that work is so important, and why I must again ask all of London’s communities to work with us, and our partners, so that we are doing all that we can together to prevent such tragedies.
“We have already heard from a number of witnesses, and I am grateful to them for getting in touch and providing information to police.
“Officers are keen to hear from anyone who may have seen a dark coloured SUV or 4x4 type vehicle with distinctive silver roof bars in the areas around Sewell Road or Titmuss Avenue in the days before, and prior to the murders.
“Any witnesses, or those who knew Charlie or Kearne and might be able to offer some information or insight into these senseless killings, are urged to contact police. The phone number is 101 and you should quote reference 4943/26nov.
“Information can also be provided to Crimestoppers, anonymously, online or by calling 0800 555 111. They do not ask your name or trace your IP address.”
On Sunday evening detectives arrested a 16-year-old boy on suspicion of their murders.
Detective Chief Inspector Kate Blackburn, from the Met’s Specialist Crime Command, said: “This is a positive development in what is a complex and fast-moving investigation. Charlie and Kearne’s families have been informed.
“Our investigation is ongoing and we continue to appeal for the public’s help as we build a picture of what happened on Saturday night. If you have information, no matter how insignificant you think it may be, please come forward.”
As officers work to keep people safe, a Section 60 authorisation, providing officers with additional search powers, is in place until 7am on Monday, 28 November, in areas of SE2 and SE18. See the @MPSGreenwich Twitter account for further details.