top of page

Met cop witness in EncroChat case arrested after 'attacking PC from other force during drugs bender'

BRITAIN'S biggest police force is facing a fresh scandal after an officer from its organised crime squad was tasered and arrested after allegedly attacking a PC from another force during an alcohol and drugs bender.

The Met PC, who is a witness in a major EncroChat organised crime prosecution, is under investigation for a string of offences including suspected drug supply, after wraps of cocaine and cash were allegedly found in his hotel room.

The officer, who Essex News and Investigations is not naming for legal reasons, is also under investigation for assaulting an emergency worker after a Sussex Police officer required hospital treatment following an alleged attack at the hotel.

The officer has been suspended pending the outcome of a criminal investigation by the other force and the Met Police "Line of Duty" unit is also investigating.

A Met Police spokeswoman said: "A serving Metropolitan Police officer has been arrested by Sussex Police.

The police constable, attached to the Met’s Specialist Crime Command, was arrested by Sussex Police on Thursday, March 9, on suspicion of possession of a class A drug with intent to supply, possession of an offensive weapon, drug driving, assaulting an emergency worker and criminal damage.

"He was taken to a police station in Sussex where he was bailed pending further enquiries.

"The Met’s Directorate of Professional Standards is aware and he has been suspended."

The Specialist Crime Command investigates serious and organised crime and homicides.

It is suspected the officer may have obtained drugs that were seized during a criminal investigation as an open Met Police evidence bag marked class A was allegedly found with a force laptop in a rucksack inside his hire car.

The case is likely to heap more pressure onto Commissioner Sir Mark Rowley as the shocking events happened six months into his push to improve standards within the force.

The Met officer travelled to Brighton in a hired Lamborghini where he met a group of people who he allegedly drank and took drugs with.

The officer is said to have disclosed to the group he was a police officer and showed a warrant card, before he was given one of their addresses and invited to return there.

In the early hours of March 9 this year, the officer is alleged to have driven there and asked to be let in, saying he had cocaine in his hotel room which he was willing to "share."

However, things allegedly turned sour and it is claimed that the officer smashed a window with a baton before leaving after local police were called.

The Met PC had already disclosed his hotel room number, so an officer from Sussex Police was sent to investigate.

The Sussex officer tried to arrest his Met counterpart, but he allegedly resisted, causing the former to draw his taser and call for backup.

During a subsequent struggle the Met Officer is alleged to have repeatedly hit the other officer and stamped on him.

He was also allegedly recorded on body-worn camera hurling objects at the other officer, who managed to draw his taser again and subdue the man as other officers arrived.

The injured PC was taken to the Royal Sussex County Hospital for treatment.

It is alleged that a search of the hotel room found suspected cocaine separated into lines with two bank cards located next to them and a Metropolitan Police warrant card in the name of the officer was also located at the scene.

One safe in the room allegedly contained a quantity of drug wraps and a large amount of cash, while a second safe contained a phone with numerous sim cards and a passport in the name of the officer who also allegedly had an extendable baton in his back


The officer was taken into custody where it is alleged that he failed a drug swipe for cocaine and an impairment test.

It is understood there are mental health issues.

A Sussex Police spokesman said: "Around 5.55am on Thursday, March 9, police received a report of criminal damage in Russell Square, Brighton.

"Officers attended nearby Kings Road and arrested a 43-year-old man on suspicion of criminal damage, possession of an offensive weapon, possession with intent to supply Class A drugs, assaulting an emergency worker, and drug driving.

"The man was released on conditional bail while enquiries continue."

The EncroChat prosecution in question has been adjourned until later this year.


bottom of page