top of page

Arrest as man fights for life following clashes after Friday's QPR v Luton football match

DETECTIVES have arrested a man as part of their investigation into an assault following the Queens Park Rangers vs Luton Town football match on Friday, November 19.

The 26-year-old man was arrested on suspicion of attempted murder today, Sunday, November 21 and remains in custody.

Enquiries into the circumstances by officers from the Central West Command Unit remain ongoing.

It comes after a man was left fighting for his life after being found seriously injured following disorder after Friday's QPR v Luton football match.

Police are appealing for witnesses to come forward after the man was found with a serious head injury in Uxbridge Road at around 9:50pm by officers on duty following the Championship match.

A Met Police spokesman said: "The 52-year-old man, who is from the Luton area, was taken to hospital by London Ambulance Service. He remains in a life-threatening condition and his family has been informed.

"Enquiries are ongoing to establish how the man sustained the head injury. At this early stage we believe he may have been assaulted, or otherwise caught up in disorder after the match, in the area of Uxbridge Road near the junction with Davenport Road."

People reported on Twitter huge numbers of police being in the area after the match.

LauraF7x tweeted: "One person lying on the ground surrounded by police on Uxbridge Road. I’ve never seen so many police and loads of fans being held on Bloemfontein Road. Not even home yet due to all the people causing trouble

Neil Flynn tweeted: "I’ve never seen so many Old Bill at football and that includes the 70s and 80s!

"We were held at the top of Loftus Road for ages while they walked them down Uxbridge Road,then it all kicked of at the police station!"

TonyC added: "In 40 years of going to @QPR I have never seen so many riot police pre match and even more after the game. Took ages to get out as they wouldn’t let us down the Uxbridge Road." Detectives from the Met’s Central West BCU want to hear from anyone who witnessed disorder after the match or who saw an incident which may have caused the man’s injury. Anyone with mobile phone footage that may be relevant is also urged to contact police.

Detective Constable Arrash Faghihi said: “The man sustained a serious injury, and it is vital that we make contact with witnesses quickly.

“The area was extremely busy after the match and there will undoubtedly be many people with information that will assist police. I need them to get in touch as detectives work to build a complete picture of what happened on Friday night.”

Anyone with information and any witnesses should call 101, ref 7888/19nov. To remain anonymous please contact Crimestoppers.


bottom of page