Man arrested after early hours assault in Maldon High Street faces no further action
A MAN who was arrested on suspicion of assault after a street fight in Maldon was released without charge.
Essex Police confirmed the 35-year-old would face no further action following the arrest in the early hours of Sunday, March 27.
Several police attended the High Street at around 12:30am after receiving reports that a man had been assaulted in the street.
It followed shouting among a group of people and after one man was seen to run and jump at another punching him in the face.
The victim was later seen with cuts to an eye.
A suspect was seen being arrested (above) and taken into custody before he was held overnight.
An Essex Police spokesman said the following morning: "A man has been arrested on suspicion of assault after an incident in Maldon.
"We were called to High Street shortly after 12.30am this morning, Sunday 27 March.
"We arrived and found a man had been assaulted and sustained a cut to his face.
"A 35-year-old man from Maldon has been arrested on suspicion of assault. He remains in custody this morning."
However, the force has since confirmed that after an investigation no charges will follow.
A spokeswoman said: "A 35-year-old man who had been arrested on suspicion of assault in connection with an incident in Maldon has been released and informed he will face no further action."