Homicide probe after man found at Chelmsford house with serious injuries dies



OFFICERS investigating the death of a man in Chelmsford this morning have made an arrest.

Detectives from Kent and Essex Serious Crime Directorate arrested a 25-year-old man from Chelmsford on suspicion of murder earlier today and he remains in custody.

Detective Chief Inspector Louise Metcalfe, of the Kent and Essex Serious Crime Directorate said “I appreciate that news of this man’s death has spread quickly today and caused a lot of concern within the community, but I hope this arrest provides some reassurance.

“This investigation has been fast-paced and we have already carried out extensive enquiries including house to house. I’d like to thank those in the community who have supported our officers with this investigation so far.

“We are continuing to appeal for the public’s help and appealing to anyone who may have any further information or witnessed anything suspicious in the area last night or this morning to contact us.

“As well as this, if you live in the area or were driving through the area and may have any dashcam or CCTV footage which could help, please contact us.”

Chief Inspector Steve Scott- Haynes, Chelmsford District Commander said “Residents of Nelson Grove and the surrounding area will notice an increased police presence over the coming week.

“A scene is expected to remain in place at the address for at least three days. Whilst we ask the public to respect any cordons in place, we’d also encourage you to ask our officers any questions you may have, and they will answer the best they can.”

Essex Police began the investigation this morning after a seriously injured man died at a home in Chelmsford.

A force spokesman said: "We are on the scene on a serious incident at a property in Nelson Grove, Chelmsford.

"We were called by colleagues in the ambulance service shortly after 4.30am this morning, (Monday 25 July), to reports of a man having been badly injured."

Offices arrived and found a man had sustained a number of injuries.

Despite the best efforts of medics, sadly, the man was pronounced dead.

At this stage, his death is being treated as a homicide investigation. A post-mortem examination is yet to be carried out.

A nearby resident told Essex News and Investigations they heard a gunshot in the night, but the force said it has received no such reports and urged anyone who heard anything to make contact.

Ms Metcalfe earlier said: “Our investigation is in its early stages, and we are working very quickly to piece together what led up to the incident in Nelson Grove.

“That will include viewing CCTV from neighbouring properties and carrying out a number of house-to-house enquiries in the area.

“As a result, you can expect a large policing presence in the area throughout the day as we seek to establish the circumstances around this man’s death.”

Chief Inspector Haynes added: “This will understandably cause a great deal of concern among our community who are waking up to this news.

“The investigation is being led by detectives from the Serious Crime Directorate and you can expect a significant policing presence in the area today from detectives and uniformed officers.

“If you feel you need to speak to them, please do, they are there to help and reassure you.”

We have already spoken to a number of people nearby to obtain accounts, but we need anyone who witnessed an incident or any suspicious behaviour in the street between 11pm last night, Sunday 24 July, and 4.30am this morning, Monday 25 July, to get in touch as soon as possible.

Equally, we would like to hear from anyone with dashcam or doorbell footage of the street in that same timeframe.

Visit www.essex.police.uk/digital101 to find out more about our website reporting services.

You can call us on 101. Please quote incident 183 of July 25 in any correspondence.

If you would like to make an anonymous report you can contact independent charity Crimestoppers, by visiting their website or by calling 0800 555 111.