top of page

HEATWAVE STAB SPREE: Two dead and at least 15 others injured across UK in knife attacks

TWO people, including a dad and a teen, were stabbed to death and at least 15 others injured with knives across the UK in the space of 34 hours. Seven of the stabbings, including one of the murders, were in the capital. The spree of violence began at 3am on Friday when police found a 42-year-old male who had suffered serious chest injuries in Preston, Lancashire. The man, named locally as Lee Dawson (above), later died in hospital. No arrests have been made. Det Ch Insp Mark Haworth-Oates, of Lancashire Police said: “These are very sad and tragic circumstances and our thoughts are with the victim’s loved ones at this difficult time." Less than three hours later a 22-year-old man was stabbed in Edinburgh just before 6am and taken to the Edinburgh Royal Infirmary where medical staff said his condition was “serious”. A 61-year-old man was arrested and later charged. Just after 2pm a man in his 20s was rushed to hospital after being stabbed multiple times in Bromley, south London. His condition is not believed to be life-threatening and no one was arrested. At about 4.05pm another man was taken to hospital after being stabbed in a street in Sittingbourne, Kent. A 20-year-old man from the Sittingbourne area was arrested later in the evening and charged. Not long after two men were stabbed in Hackney, east London, after a fight broke out. Police said neither of them is in a life-threatening condition, and both men were arrested in connection with the incident. Two other teenagers were also rushed to hospital after being stabbed on Hampstead Heath. Police said they were called at 7.30pm to reports of a group of people fighting at the park. Two males, aged 17 and 18, were found with stab injuries and taken to hospital. Their conditions are not thought to be life-threatening and no arrests have been made. At about the same time in Liverpool two men were stabbed outside a bar in the city centre. Police are searching for a male suspect - described as black, slim and wearing a dark jacket - who ran off in the direction of Lime Street rail station.

At 8pm four men were arrested after a man was stabbed following a three-vehicle crash in Telford. The crash between two cars and a bus happened in Wellington, where a man in his 20s was also left at the scene with stab wounds. West Mercia Police said four men, aged between 20 and 45, were arrested. Ten minutes later, in Southend, Essex, a man was stabbed in the neck and stomach just before 8.10pm. His injuries were not life threatening and police today released a CCTV image (above) of a man they want to speak to.

There are also reports of an earlier stabbing in the Essex seaside report about an hour before. Less than an hour later, a 16-year-old boy was taken to hospital after a stabbing in Crystal Palace, south London, at 9.03pm Sussex Police responded to reports of a fight outside an Eastbourne at around 1.10am today (Saturday) when a man was stabbed and taken to hospital. Later, at about 3am a man was stabbed in Manchester city centre after being chased down by ten men. The Met launched a murder investigation at 12.10pm today following a fatal stabbing in Tottenham, north London. The spokesman said: "Officers attended the location and administered first aid. Despite their best efforts, and those of ambulance colleagues, the 17-year-old male was pronounced dead at the scene. "An urgent investigation is under way. Two males have been arrested in connection with the incident and both have been taken into police custody."


bottom of page