top of page

LAWLESS UK EXCLUSIVE PICTURES: Police swamp Stratford after 100-strong mob attacks officers with mis

CROWD: Huge numbers of police officers responded to the attacks (Pictures Jon Austin)

A MOB of up to 100 youths pelted police this evening after they responded to reports of a robbery at a major shopping area.

The Met Police mobilised a massive operation involving at least 50 officers, police dogs, several vehicles and a helicopter as they sought to quell tension and identify suspects.

STANDBY: Police dog handlers wait outside the station

The drama, first revealed by our sister Twitter feed News Junkie (@Newsaddictclub) unfolded at about 7.50pm near the rail and tube station and Westgate Shopping Centre in Stratford, east London.

Four police officers were injured after they were attacked by a "hostile group of youths" outside the station.

FALL: Paramedics attend to a woman who fell in the station

A woman was also injured as she fell down stairs inside the busy station during the panic. Three people were arrested by police and are being questioned.

The four officers who were injured sustained minor injuries.

EYE IN THE SKY: Police helicopter circled above Stratford for hours

These exclusive images taken after 9pm show the scale of the operation and its aftermath.

Separate videos posted on social media show the Metropolitan Police officers trying to restore order, with one officer wielding a taser.

One youth appeared to be armed with a stick.

One of the youths detained was found to be in possession of a large hunting knife.

A Met Police tweet said: "Last night we responded to urgent assistance in Stratford after officers came under attack.

One male youth who attempted to make off was subsequently detained, searched and found in possession of this hunting knife."

DEADLY: A knife confiscated from an arrested youth (Met Police)

QUESTIONS: Police speak to a youth inside tube station

The chaos was sparked following an incident outside Pret A Manger in Station Street, by the stairs leading to the shopping centre.

A spokesman for the Met said: "Police responding to reports of a robbery at Stratford Bus

Station at 7.50pm on Saturday, June 15 were met with hostility by a large crowd of people.

“Around 100 members of the public threw bottles and missiles at police.

“A woman was injured when she fell down stairs at the tube entrance. Her injuries are not life threatening.

“Three people were arrested, two on suspicion of being in possession of an offensive weapon, one on suspicion of robbery.

bottom of page