top of page

No charges following death of man police said 'died after serious assault'

Double tragedy: Mark Woodard and wife Natasha Carsburg (Picture: Facebook)

TWO men arrested on suspicion of assault after another man died from severe head injuries have been released from police bail and are facing no further action.

Mark Woodard, 49, died in Colchester Hospital on Sunday, November 15, after his life support machine was switched off.

He was admitted there late the previous evening.

Mr Woodard, from Colchester Road, Wix, Manningtree, had such massive head injuries his brain stem had died, and nothing could be done to revive him from a coma.

Coma: Mr Woodard was admitted to Colchester Hospital where he died (Picture: Google)

Essex Police initially described events leading up to his hospitalisation as a serious assault and it was investigated as a suspicious death.

A police spokeswoman said at the time: "Police were contacted at 11pm on Saturday, November 14, with reports a man had been admitted to hospital with serious injuries following an assault at an address in Cliff Road, Dovercourt, near Harwich.

"The 49-year-old man from Colchester suffered head injuries and died in hospital in the evening of Sunday, November 15.

"His death is being treated as suspicious."

On the Road: Mr Woodard on his business Facebook page (Picture: Facebook)

The case is now being passed to Essex Coroners' Service in Chelmsford ahead of a full inquest.

A police spokeswoman said: "Two men aged 19 and 47 from Dovercourt who were arrested on suspicion of assault have been released from bail without charge.

"A file will be prepared for the coroner."

An inquest, which was opened today at Chelmsford Coroners Court, shortly after his death, heard a post mortem carried out by Dr Benjamin Swift, a consultant forensic pathologist, gave a provisional cause of death as "head injuries pending further investigation".

Happy: the couple at their 2014 wedding (Picture: Facebook)

Coroner Ealanor McGann adjourned the case until the new year pending the outcome of the police investigation and would not release the body.

Mr Woodard had worked as a mobile car mechanic, trading under the name of On the Road on Facebook.

He married artist and sculptor Natasha Carsburg, 45, in April 2014, but in an earlier tragedy she died aged 44 in December that year after a six-year battle with cancer.

Related Articles:

bottom of page