BREAKING: Investigation into shooting of rapper Chris Kaba becomes a homicide probe - IOPC


THE investigation into the fatal shooting of Chris Kaba by the Metropolitan Police Service (MPS) in Streatham Hill on Monday September 5 has become a homicide probe.

A spokesman for the Independent Office of Police Conduct (IOPC) said: "Following our review of the evidence gathered so far, the Independent Office for Police Conduct (IOPC) has launched a homicide investigation into Mr Kaba’s death.

"Mr Kaba died after a single shot was fired by an MPS officer from the specialist firearms command while police attempted to stop and contain the vehicle he was driving. This followed the activation of an automatic number plate recognition camera which indicated the vehicle was linked to a firearms incident in previous days. The vehicle Mr Kaba was driving was not registered to him.

"Our investigation team is continuing to gather and review a large amount of evidence, however as this is now a criminal investigation, we are limited in what further information we can provide. The launch of a criminal investigation does not mean that criminal charges will necessarily follow.

"We have notified Mr Kaba’s family of this latest development.

"We continue to ask that people avoid speculating about this incident out of respect for Mr Kaba’s family and for everyone else affected."

Homicide covers both murder and manslaughter.

Met Police Assistant Commissioner Amanda Pearson said: “The Independent Office for Police Conduct have announced that a firearms officer is now subject to a homicide investigation. My thoughts and sympathies remain with Mr Kaba’s friends and family with this news. I also know how concerned our communities are and how they will also be affected by this significant update. We share their concern.

“The Met is co-operating fully as the IOPC work to independently establish the full circumstances surrounding the shooting.”

The officer is not currently on operational duties due to the formal post incident process. A senior officer will now carefully consider their work status going forward.

Mr Kaba died after his vehicle was stopped by specialist firearms officers on the evening of Monday, 5 September in Streatham Hill. The vehicle was stopped following the activation of an automatic number plate recognition camera which indicated the car had been linked to a firearms offence in the previous days.

AC Pearson continued: “I absolutely understand that this shooting is a matter of grave concern, particularly for our Black communities.

“I also know what a difficult and often dangerous job firearms officers in particular do every day to try to protect the public. They understand and expect that on the very rare occasions they discharge their weapons they will face intense scrutiny. I don’t underestimate the impact on them of this development.

“I’d urge the public to allow the IOPC the time and space needed to progress the investigation.”

The IOPC have explained in their announcement that this development does not mean any criminal offence is proven at this point of their investigation.

It comes after it emerged that protestors will tomorrow demand answers from the Met Police about the shooting of rapper Chris Kaba.

A demo is being planned from 12pm with a march going from Parliament Square to the Met Police HQ in Westminster.

Chris was shot at around 9:51pm on Monday (September 5) after police forced his vehicle to stop after a pursuit in Lambeth, south London.

It is not clear what happened next as the killing is being investigated by the Independent office for Police Conduct (IOPC).

The IOPC has confirmed no firearm was found in the 24-year old's car or nearby, suggesting he was unarmed.

Relatives, friends and campaigners are demanding more detail about the circumstances that led to his death.

A flyer advertising tomorrow's planned protest states: "We stand united for black lives seeking justice 4 Chris Kaba.

"Chris Kaba, 24, was shot and killed by the Met Police. He was unarmed. He was about to become a father. United we stand with his family, his friends and the wider community to demand justice now."

It followed an earlier demo outside Brixton police station yesterday.

The IOPC has also confirmed that police were pursuing his vehicle as it set off an ANPR device as wanted in connection with a firearms incident some days earlier.

Yesterday, it emerged that Chris had previously been jailed for possession of a firearm.

He was sentenced to four years in a young offenders institute in January 2019 after being convicted of possession of a firearm at Snaresbrook Crown Court.

He was charged in February 2018 after shots were fired in Butchers Road, Canning Town, east London, at about 3.25am on December 30 2017.

He was 19 at the time of the incident. Police released images of another man (above) at the time and appealed for his whereabouts.

It had been said by mourners that the expectant father had no association to gang culture.

Friends said his previous conviction was not relevant to what happened to him this week.

The death has been licked to that of the Met's fatal shooting on Mark Duggan in 2011, which led to a series of riots across London and the rest of the country.

The Met Police this week released a video by Commander Alexis Boon about the shooting.

He said: "I would like to offer my heartfelt condolences to the family of Chris Kaba.

"The Metropolitan Police is co-operating fully with the independent Investigation by the IOPC."