Two murder probes launched in London yesterday - days after Cressida Dick said violence was down
TWO murder separate investigations were launched in London on Saturday less than seven hours apart. has been launched following the death of a man in Bexley.
The first investigation was launched into the death of a woman whose body was found in Kidbrooke, south-east London.
Police were called at 5.32pm on Saturday, September 18, after a body was discovered near a community centre in Kidbrooke Park Road.
Officers believe they know the identity of the woman, who is aged in her 20s, but they await formal identification and confirmation that next of kin have been informed.
A post-mortem examination will be arranged in due course.
At around 9.20pm the same day, police attended an address in Lewisham and arrested a man on suspicion of murder. He has been taken into custody at a south London police station.
A number of crime scenes are in place and enquiries are ongoing.
Anyone with information or any witnesses can call police on 101, reference 5747/18. To remain anonymous, contact Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.
In an unconnected case, at 10.13pm, a man was found injured outside Belvedere Railway Station, south-east London.
A Met Police spokesman said: "Officers attended along with London Ambulance Service and found a critically injured man, believed to be aged in his 40s.
"Despite their efforts, he was pronounced dead at the scene.
"Although officers believe they know his identity they await formal identification. Next of kin have not yet been informed.
"At this early stage, it is thought that the man had been stabbed. A post-mortem examination will be arranged in due course to establish the exact nature of his injuries.
"A crime scene remains in place. There have been no arrests."
Any witnesses or anyone with information about the man's death are asked to call police on 101 quoting CAD 7975/18Sep.
The two murders came just days after Met Police Commissioner Cressida Dick said violence across London was down on pre-pandemic levels.
Speaking to police chiefs of all forces at the Police Superintendents' Annual Conference on Wednesday, after learning she has been granted a further two years to lead the force, she said "bearing down on violence, in particular, knife crime," will remain her number one priority.
Ms Dick said knife and gun crime and homicides were already significantly down on previous levels.
She said: "We have reduced the number of knife victims under 25, my key metric for London, by 23 per cent since December 2019 and we have increased the sanction detection rate for knife crime by nearly 50 per cent.
"In the first six months of this year we recorded the lowest lethal barrel discharges, shootings, in ten years and the highest detection rate for that crime and homicide I have ever known."
The Met also announced on Wednesday that overall knife crime reduced in London by 32 per cent in August after restrictions were lifted compared to pre-pandemic levels as officers executed a summer campaign of violence suppression.
A Met spokesman said: "Several coordinated operations took place displaying a strong, visible policing presence with the support of local communities."
Overall gun crime reduced by 38 per cent, while knife injury victims under 25 reduced by 35 per cent.
The summer operation saw 427 knives, 226 offensive weapons and 61 firearms seized, with 4,978 arrests.
Commander Alex Murray, lead for violence in London, said: “The reductions are compared to crime levels before the pandemic, showing real progress has been made over this time. These are tremendous efforts by officers who are dedicated to creating safer communities. Londoners can be reassured this work will continue.
“Policing alone is not enough and given the complex nature of violence, the responsibility falls across society. The reductions are also thanks to partners, volunteers and community workers who all work to make London safer. The results are encouraging and we will continue to work together to tackle violence."