Essex News & Investigations

© Essex News & Investigations 2020. Created with Wix.com

'Beast of Kavos' sex attacker being sought over 'new rape allegation' according to media reports on Corfu

May 9, 2020

POLICE in Greece are seeking a notorious rapist, who targeted British women at the Kavos holiday resort, to question him about a new alleged rape, it was reported today.

According to media reports in Corfu a 34-year-old Albanian woman, who had been reported missing by her husband two days earlier, was found today in a hut in the nearby town of Lefkimi and claimed to have been raped at knifepoint.

She claimed to have been held hostage and raped at knifepoint by convicted serial rapist Dimitris Aspiotis, 47, dubbed The Beast of Kavos.

The woman was taken to Corfu General Hospital with minor injuries, according to reports.
Corfu medical examiner Ioannis Aivatidis, said it had yet to be established medically if she had been raped.

He said: "So far no order has been received for the 34-year-old woman to be examined in order for the rape allegations to be officially confirmed."
Police were said to be looking to locate Aspiotis in connection with the allegations.

SEARCH: Police in Lefkimi are said to be looking for the Beast of Kavos (File image: Jon Austin) 

He was dubbed the Beast of Kavos after a series of rape sprees on British tourist workers and holidaymakers which ended with his jailing in 2012.
Last August the Sunday Express exposed how Aspiotis had been let out 43 years early from a 52-year prison term and was back roaming bars around the popular holiday resort, with tourists given no warnings.
A report on the startmediacorfu news website said the woman's husband had reported her missing to Lefkimmi police station on May 7 and she was found by police this on Saturday morning in Lefkimmi, the nearest town to the resort.
The website said the husband reported to police that Aspiotis had stayed at the couple's home on the night of May 6, but when he awoke his wife and the convicted rapist were gone.

CAUGHT: Aspiotis was arrested in 2010 after a manhunt spanning several days (YouTube) 

The Greek Ministry of Justice refused to confirm the release of Aspiotis last year, under a controversial new law to ease prison overcrowding.
At his 2012 sentence, victims were told he would likely die in jail, but he served jut over eight years including time on remand.
Aspiotis dragged at least six women into woods, raped them at knifepoint for hours, then robbed them during cocaine-fueled rampages.
His attacks took place at the height of summer in the resort popular with school leavers and university students.
It is believed the Greek authorities were reluctant to give any official warnings about Aspiotis’s release this year due to fears of the effect on tourism.
Aspiotis vowed he was a changed man and would never rape again when confronted last summer.

BRAVE: Victim Kayleigh Morgan warned Aspiotis would strike again after his release

Kayleigh Morgan waived her anonymity in the wake of his release to condemn the decision and said last year she was convicned he would strike again.

She was a holiday rep aged 23 when she was dragged into woods at knifepoint in August 2010.
Aspiotis raped her five times during a 14-hour ordeal after stalking her near woods.
She said today: "If this happened, I want to make sure he gets locked away for good this time. My heart goes out to his latest victim. She would never have been in this position if the sentence I got him was kept to by the Greek authorities."

More than 6,000 people signed a petition calling for the British Government to apply pressure on Greece to get Aspiotis back behind bars.

However, our government said it was powerless to do anything.

Please reload

Please reload